Saturday, May 28

Saving the World... one loaf of bread at a time



The summer is getting off to a great start! Being back in Provo is a dream. I have had to make some adjusts back to college life but it has been well worth it. On Monday, I started my new internship! I am now officially an Americorps member working at Community Action Food Bank in Provo, thank you very much! My first day was quite a shock, to say the least. So my boss, well he is sort of in charge of me, wasn't going to be there on the first day; no problem, right? Well...problem. I had no idea what I was doing. So another boss that I have named Bruce { insert the song "Don't Bring Me Down"} was the very first person that I met. He is not the most friendly of people told me that I couldn't wear the sandals that I was wearing. I am a pretty prepared person and had some tennis shoes in my car which I put on, not to mention with skinny jeans. So now I can start my job, terrible fashion statement and all. My first assignment: go through about one billion (but who is counting) boxes of bread and put them in another box. I did this for FOUR hours! Literally that is all I did. box-bread-box-bread-box-bread-box-bread-etc. During this whole time I come to learn facts not mentioned when I took the position. The other people that are there are not interns like me, they are ex-convicts sent by the courts to do community service. I learned very quickly you do not ask people what they are there for, it is never a pleasant story. I also learned that I am going to get seriously swoll after this summer. I was lifting huge boxes around and dare anyone to challenge me to an arm wrestling match in three months! After the four hours of bread sorting, I got upgraded to organizing cans. So heres how it goes: large box of all sorts of food - person - four smaller boxes divided into: cans, dry goods, wet goods, hygiene. I did this for about two hours! I left that day and literally wanted to cry. I had no idea what I had gotten myself into. I didn't know if I had signed up for slave labor when all I wanted to do was make a difference in my community!!!! I am happy to report that this organizing bread business is not all that I do each day, every day. I have now been trained to take new clients and see if they qualify for assistance among other things. There are some times when it is so rewarding like seeing a family really in need get the help that is so desperately sought for. I could fill a whole blog with the crazy things that happen there though and I am sure this will be a source of much laughter for me this entire summer! The pictures on this post are from a 5k that I volunteered at because I love fighting poverty!




This video is how Megan and I felt at the 5k! sorry it is sideways, I thought I would make my blog more creative by making you turn your computer on its side!


xoxo-Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment